Pregnancy Ticker  BabyFetus Ticker

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Wednesday April 13th + New due date!!

First of all, we just want to say thank you to everyone who prayed for us and our ultrasound, for a healthy baby.  Your prayers were answered and we are grateful to God for you and your love for us.  Thank you for keeping us in your prayers.

Today was the day of our Ultrasound and the third appt with the midwifes.  I hadn't really thought too much about the day itself other than praying for a healthy ultrasound.  But the night before when Nate and I were going to sleep, I though, "huh, we get to see our baby for the first time tomorrow" and was 25% unsure and 75% excited.  I didn't really go through ugly scenerios in my head, but of course there is always the unknown.  I just kept on praying.  God was going to take care of us, His children, no matter what.  I really didn't get 90% excited until I walked throught the door of the building hand in hand with Nate.  And wasn't 100% excited until our names were called and we were led into the room with just the ultrasound and gel:)  Nate was so wonderful and cute.  He was holding all my stuff. 

Soon a resident came in and said he was going to "see what he could find", and that the doctor would be in soon after.  Nate came up by my side as I laid down on the table.  After an goop application of warm gel..... viola! There was our baby!  My eyes were glued to the screen as the resident moved all over my belly.  He said there was a good amount of fluid and the placenta was a good size.  I was right!  The placenta was completely anterior (on the front part of my belly) which is normal, but I might not always feel the baby kick earlier on.  Then the doc came in and the real fun began.  The baby was moving and wiggling, and we saw the head, although we didn't get the standard profile shot because of the way it was laying.  We did get a lot of the scary skeleton skull pictures, where we saw the baby smiling at us:)  The doc was telling us it was rare to find all 5 fingers and see the hand, right as our baby waved to us!!  The doc got a pic of the hand and all the digits.  Also the ulna and radius moving like it was waving to us.  Very cool!  We also got some "footprint in the sand" pics of the feet against the placenta.  My suspicious were right, our baby is upside down right now- breech.  I thought so because went I felt the kicks, they were in my bladder and lower instead of up high.  Anyway 50% of fetuses are breech at the 20week appt.

So everything looked great.  We told him we didn't want to know the sex and asked him to write it down on a piece of paper and stick it in an envelope.  He said, "oh yea, I got it already!" He was so sly that I didn't even notice he found it!!

I was 20.6 days on the day of the US.  As the doc was measuring the baby, I kept seeing dates like 22 and 23 weeks on the computer screen.  After he was finished he asked us if we thought our "dates" (due date, conception date etc) could be off, because our baby was measuring larger than it should!!!  Yikes!  It actually weighed 1lb 3oz!!!  I thought from the beginning when the midwifes gave me my due date of Aug 25th, that it was too far away, but only by 4 or 5 days. (I thought I might be due Aug 21st).  I think I showed "earlier" than I should have for it being our first baby, and when we were at our 16 week appt, my uterus measured where is would if I was closer to 20weeks! (I thought I was having twins....haha).  Anyway, I thought the dates could be a little off. 

I could just be having a big baby too.  I do like to eat..... hopefully I am not a gestational diabetic!

So we were off to our midwifes appt.  As soon as the midwife stepped into the room, Nate made sure she knew we didn't know about the sex of the baby!!  As it turns out, the doc didn't even write it on the report, just for that reason!  We were safe.

Aubrey the midwife said that the doc estimated my due date as Aug 11th, 2 weeks a head of schedule.  Because of the big discrepancy, the midwifes had to have a pow-wow and determine whether I should go with the Aug 11 or 25th due date.  Well, when she measured my uterus, it measured at 22 weeks.  I guess that was the clencher.  They decided to give me the new due date!  Yea! I just jumped to 22.6 days!  I actually am more comfortable with this due date than my 25th.  Before I was afraid to go post dates, and now I am more comfortable.  However, I hope we have the baby before the 25th or we will be in deep trouble!!! (The midwifes will not deliever a baby past 42 weeks, so I would have to go to the hospital to be induced! ICK!)

So it was a fabulous day!  We just had to get through the next two days before saturday when we would have our "Gender announcement party". 

Stay tuned for the "GAP" pics and details.......... "WHICH WILL IT BE A HE OR SHE?!?!!?"

Love Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment